- Suffolk Coastal and Waveney District Councils
- Place of work:
- Riverside, Lowestoft
- Salary details:
- £7,138 pa
- Job term:
- Full Time
- 37 per week
- Fixed Term One year
- Closing Date
- 29 July 2018
Fixed term for one year.
Based in Lowestoft.
Apprenticeship start date: 17 September 2018.
Looking to kick-start your career in local government? Suffolk Coastal and Waveney District Councils have an established and successful apprenticeship scheme, which has seen over 70% of its apprentices stay on beyond their apprenticeships to develop promising careers with the councils. If you are looking for an exciting opportunity where you can earn money as well as gaining experience and a recognised qualification, then look no further.
A unique opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic individual to join our Food and Safety Team. This apprenticeship opportunity could be your ideal first step on the career ladder in the field of administration.
Our work is varied and plays an important role in protecting peoples' safety, health and welfare. We have a small team of dedicated office-based staff, working closely together to provide essential support to officers.
Our team is involved in a wide varied of tasks including:
- inspecting and rating food businesses under food safety and hygiene laws, and checking food is fit for human consumption
- visiting workplaces to check compliance with occupational health and safety and welfare laws
- investigating complaints and accident notifications
- investigating outbreaks of food poisoning and other infectious diseases
- registering food businesses and the practice of skin piercing
- delivering health and safety training, and providing health and safety advice to the councils.
Your role will be to provide administrative support. Some of your varied responsibilities will include:
- making regular face-to-face, telephone, mail and email contact with members of the public, food business operators, employers and others
- maintaining computer records including receiving, accurately recording and allocating work to officers via our computer system
- assisting in the administration of skin piercing and food premises registrations
- checking thermometer calibration to ensure accuracy
- arranging dates and booking venues for meetings, and assisting in preparing the agendas and notes of meetings
- providing support for our training courses, such as helping to manage bookings, sending handbooks to candidates and support to tutors.
To help ensure you understand the important part your role plays in delivering our services we will provide you with opportunities to accompany officers on occasional visits.
You will be based at our Riverside Offices in Lowestoft, although occasional travel to East Suffolk House in Melton, Woodbridge, will be required. East Suffolk House is ideally located opposite Melton train station on the line between Lowestoft and Ipswich. Travelling expenses will be provided in accordance with our Travel, Driving and Subsistence Policy.
You need to have excellent written and verbal communication skills and IT skills, and a minimum of 4 GCSEs at grade C or above (or equivalent). You must have the ability to make accurate records and keep personal and commercial details secure and confidential. No previous experience is required, as full training will be provided.
So, what can we offer you in return?
- A fully funded and supported NVQ Level 2 Apprenticeship in Business and Administration qualification
- Generous annual leave entitlements and high street discount scheme
- Valuable work-based skills from day one
- The opportunity to meet and work alongside other apprentices in the organisation
- Multiple training courses and development opportunities to add to your CV.
The 2017 apprentices have worked together this year to create a video to tell you a little bit about their experience of being an apprentice at East Suffolk Councils.
We are excited to announce we will be holding recruitment open evenings this year to give you the opportunity to meet the teams, and ask any questions you have about the application process or the apprenticeship qualification.
The open evening the Food and Safety team will be attending will be taking place on the following date:
- 16 July: 5 pm - 6.30pm, Riverside Offices, 4 Canning Road, Lowestoft NR33 0EQ.
If you would like to attend this open evening session, please email: email@example.com with your name.
For an informal discussion about the position please contact either Nikki Crisp on (01394) 444736 or Kerry Rayden on (01394) 444502.
If you think you could bring enthusiasm, fresh ideas and a different perspective to our councils, we would like to hear from you.
Interview date: 8 August 2018.