- East Suffolk Council
- Place of work:
- Suffolk Coastal Port Health Authority, Felixstowe
- Job term:
- Full Time
- 37 hours per week on a rotational shift pattern*
- Fixed Term
- Closing Date
- 16 May 2021 11:30 PM
- £36,922 - £40,876 pa plus shift allowance*
- Fixed term for 18 months (with the potential to become permanent in the future)
- Shift pattern offers attractive work life balance
Suffolk Coastal Port Health Authority is expanding! It is a really exciting time to be joining our Port health team as we transform our services in response to the UK’s departure from the European Union, recruiting an additional 60 team members.
Our mission is the protection of public and animal health, carrying out a range of checks to ensure imported goods are safe for all of us in the UK. To find out more about what our skilled team do, have a look at our video here.
*Initially you will participate in a rotational shift pattern covering 06:30 to 22:00 weekdays and 06:30 to 14:30 at weekends which attracts a 14% shift allowance. This will soon be changing to 24/7 rota (day and night shifts), which will attract a 23.5% shift allowance on top of the base salary. This will be worked on a 12-hour rotating shift pattern (5 days on, 6 days off, 5 nights on, 6 days off), offering attractive work life balance. As this is a new service, the shift pattern will be kept under regular review to ensure it meets operational needs.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a suitably qualified Veterinary Surgeon (OVS) to join the team at Port Health. Your role will be to work with our existing OVS’s in dealing with veterinary checks on imports of products of animal origin to ensure they are safe for distribution to the UK.
You must be a member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (MRCVS). You must possess good verbal and written communication skills as well as decision making and negotiation skills.
Why work for us?
East Suffolk Council is a great place to work and there are lots of benefits our employees can access. To find out more about why we are so proud of East Suffolk Council and to hear why our employees think it is such a great place to work, take a look at our video.
Here are some of the main benefits:
- Opportunities for training and development to enable you to build a great career with our organisation.
- Attractive work life balance with the added benefit of 6 non-working days between shifts.
- Generous leave entitlement (equivalent to 24 days a year, increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service)
- Local government pension scheme
- Free car parking.
- Discounts on mobile phones, computers, holiday and travel, fashion and clothing, health & beauty and many other products and services
If you would like to be at the forefront of this exciting new service, we look forward to receiving your application.
Please read the job description and person specification before applying for this job.
For an informal discussion or if you have any questions regarding this post, please contact Alexandra Catling on 01394 613330 or email HR@eastsuffolk.gov.uk
Interview Date: 27 May 2021