- Myland English Hub
- Place of work:
- Job term:
- Full Time or Part Time
- Closing date:
- 20 May 2021 01:00 PM
Required from September 2021.
Myland English Hub, based at Myland Community Primary School in Colchester, is seeking to add to our cohort of expert primary school teachers to develop and work as Primary Literacy Specialists. The attached application pack gives information about the programme and how teachers and their schools can apply to be involved.
In September 2018 the Department for Education announced 34 English Hubs. This network of some of the best performing primary schools has been set up to improve reading standards across the country and improve education outcomes for the most disadvantaged children, particularly in underperforming schools.
Benefits for participating teachers and their schools.
The Literacy Specialists are at the heart of the English Hub Offer. Literacy Specialists will benefit from a National Training programme in order to become experts in teaching early language and reading in Reception and KS1.
Participating in the programme will provide the following benefits to the Literacy Specialists and their schools:
Literacy Specialists will develop:
- understanding of excellent practice in teaching early language and literacy, with a particular focus on Systematic Synthetic Phonics
- skills of teaching, planning and assessment in order to effectively support pupils to make excellent progress
- ability to support teachers, within their own school and in other schools, to improve standards.
Literacy Specialists will have the opportunity to work closely with the national English Hubs Training Centre, the Myland English Hub team and the national and local communities of Literacy Specialists.
The Literacy Specialist's school will benefit from high quality and sustained support in embedding outstanding early language and literacy teaching across the school.
Who should apply?
Prospective applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Qualified Teacher Status
- Employed as a teacher in a Primary/Infant/Junior school and regularly teaching phonics to the same class of children at least three days/week with consistently good or better outcomes
- Able to fulfil the programme requirements and time commitment outlined in the attached document
- Highly effective teaching skills in early language and literacy as evidenced by internal/external/Ofsted observation
- Passion and enthusiasm for teaching Systematic Synthetic Phonics
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Successful track record of working effectively with other professionals within their own school
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- An understanding of what constitutes effective early language and literacy teaching and the ability and confidence to communicate this
- An understanding of the importance of fidelity when teaching a phonics programme and having decodable books which match the phonetic sounds children have been taught.
In the 2021-22 academic year, Myland English Hub will fund the cost of release time for the Literacy Specialist’s training and will reimburse reasonable travel expenses to attend training. Myland English Hub will also fund the cost of release time (amounting to a minimum of 24 days across the year, but approximately one day per week) and the cost of travel for further training and school support visits. An additional 0.2 is factored in to provide preparation time for each Literacy Specialist support day.
Myland English Hub will look to appoint Literacy Specialists so that they both meet the criteria as set out above, but also fit into the Hub's strategic plan for developing early language and literacy teaching across the following geographical areas:
Essex (NE: Colchester and Tendring areas); Suffolk (including Babergh, Ipswich, Suffolk Coastal, Waveney and Mid Suffolk)
All relevant information is contained in the Application Pack (attached). All applications must be made via the Hub application form contained in the pack and returned to: email@example.com
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Rebecca Jarrett (Hub Lead) on 01206 852109.
Interviews will be held remotely with candidates by mutual agreement in June.
Myland Primary School and Myland English Hub are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This appointment is subject to safer recruitment procedures, including an enhanced DBS check, satisfactory references and medical clearance.