- Suffolk County Council
- Place of work:
- Constantine House, Ipswich
- Salary details:
- See Advert Details
- Job term:
- Full Time or Part Time
- 37 per week
- Closing date:
- 01 December 2020 11:30 PM
£32,910 G6 / £46,172 G7 (pro rata for part time)
Are you a qualified lawyer with demonstrable experience and an ability to conduct complex legal work? Yes? then read on.
To reflect the fast-moving agenda for the council, our legal services has recently transformed its design and business model in becoming an able and effective strategic partner in developing the scope and landscape of the long term vision of our county. This has included investment in and expansion of our legal service model hence our need to fill these vacancies.
We require Lawyers to who can demonstrate and provide outstanding customer-focused legal advice; conduct and advise on all aspects in your particular area of expertise and moreover willing to broaden your intellectual horizon to embrace new and refreshing ways of working.
We have 2 grades available to apply for within the job title of Lawyer.
To be eligible to apply for both the G6 and G7 posts you must be a qualified solicitor, barrister or legal executive (Fellow). For the G7 posts you must also have 3+ years’ post qualification experience and be able to demonstrate relevant legal skills and ability in the designated legal discipline(s).
Please indicate on your application which discipline(s) you are applying for.
We currently have vacancies in these disciplines:
- Employment x 1 fte
- Property x 3 fte
- Education x 1fte
- Disputes x 2 fte
- Safeguarding (children and adult) x 2 fte
In your role the following are some of what you would be expected to undertake:
- managing legal cases, following the Lexcel and ISO 9001 quality procedures, without direct supervision, except for complex cases
- providing legal advice within the specialist area and make decisions using initiative and professional judgement
- advocacy in court
- Contribute and provide advice to corporate governance and strategic projects to ensure the best possible outcomes for the Council
- interpreting the legal and business impact of changes in law on the operations of the Council, partners, stakeholders and clients.
- management of legal cases, following the Lexcel and ISO 9001 quality procedures, from inception to completing on target, without direct supervision, save in the most complex of cases
- handling of professionally difficult and/or complex issues within your legal area, holding a specialist caseload and managing the expectations of clients and members of the public.
- advocacy on own cases and those of others, up to and including contested interim applications and final hearings, inquests etc
- line management of Paralegals and Caseworkers, including delegating and prioritising work, being point of escalation, mentoring and motivating staff, 1:1s, recruitment and training as needed
- contributing and providing expert advice to corporate governance and strategic projects to ensure the best possible outcomes for the Council. Responsible for interpreting the legal and business impact of changes in law on the operations and strategy of the Council, partners, stakeholders and client.
We have a great benefits package including:
- flexible working options to support you, your work-life balance and career
- a generous leave entitlement
- contributory pension scheme
- public transport discounts and season ticket loan scheme
- company discount scheme
- a wide range of staff support networks and representative bodies.
Please look at the benefits information to the right of the screen.
Relocation package available
This organisation positively encourages the use of technology to communicate and engage, but in this role you will need to operate across a wide and rural area, so you must either hold a full and current driving licence and have access to personal transport or meet the mobility requirements of the role through other reasonable and suitable means.
For an informal discussion only, please contact either Polly Mann (01473) 264241 or Corinne McGrath on (01473) 264185.
Please read the Job and Person Profile before applying for this job.
This authority is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. DBS checks or police vetting will be required for relevant posts. We are also committed to flexible working. For the types of flexible or part time working available for specific roles, please see the Job and Person Profile. Suffolk County Council - welcoming diversity.